5 BR, 5 BA Mill Valley Home for Sale: $6,150,000
Just above the coveted town of Mill Valley, the historic Sherman Estate offers magnificent panoramic views of downtown San Francisco, SF Bay and Bay Bridge, Mount Tamalpais, and the acres of open space that surround town.
The Sherman Estate is an indoor/outdoor country estate positioned perfectly in Mill Valley’s sun-soaked prime weather district on an exceptional, largely level lot. Exclusive and tranquil, while still very close to the shops, restaurants, and schools in town, its grounds are replete with historic oak trees, dogwood, heirloom gardens, and green vegetation. A sparkling 60′ x 12′ lap pool, a vegetable garden and potting house, gracious bluestone terraces, yard, play area, and playhouse offer relaxation and fun.
A two-year multi-million dollar renovation is just now complete.
Key Home Features:
• 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms
• Up to 6 parking spaces (includes approval for additional 2-car parking)
• Gracious formal entry
• Open plan living and dining room with French doors to terrace
• Country-style chef’s kitchen and butler’s pantry with spacious family dining
• Family den, TV, and play room connected to kitchen
• Sumptuous master suite with separate reading room, marble bathroom, walk-in closets and 327 sq. ft. view deck
• Flexible rooms for bedrooms, play areas, guests, au pair, and office
• Approved plans for separate guest cottage of 538 sq. ft.
• Additional two-car off-street parking spaces approved
Key Grounds Features:
• Large, level lot (~80% of an acre)
• Gorgeous lap pool: 60′ x 12′
• Extensive landscaping with mature trees, new shrubs, and drought-resistant decorative plants
• Multiple outdoor sitting and lounging areas
• Exquisite bluestone terraces
• Multiple play areas including sandpit, swing area, and playhouse
• Vegetable garden with accompanying original potting shed
• Water garden with recirculating waterfall
Other Valuable Features:
• Close to shops, restaurants and schools in town
• Located in Mill Valley’s sunbelt
• A commuter’s dream; only 15+ minutes to San Francisco
• Award-winning Mill Valley schools
About the Historic Sherman Estate
The iconic Sherman Estate was constructed in 1926 by Cornelia and Frederick Sherman, who purchased the exquisite site in 1924 from Thomas and Anne Kent of the distinguished Kent Family after which Kentfield was named.
Mr. and Mrs. Sherman were admired as influential, key civic leaders in Mill Valley and the greater Bay Area. A well-known Bay Area landscape designer, avid dancer, and supporter of the women’s suffrage movement, Mrs. Sherman served as a nurse in World War I during the 1918 flu epidemic during which time she met Army 2nd Lt. Frederick Barreda Sherman. During World War II, Mrs. Sherman assembled the first women’s fire fighting team in Mill Valley.
Neighbors are quick to share that the Sherman Estate is the first property on the hill. The lot, hand selected for its orientation in the sun and soaring views of San Francisco, the Bay, Mill Valley ridge line, and Mount Tamalpais, is considered among the best in Mill Valley. There have been only three owners of this wondrous estate in its 90+ year history. (Sources: SF Gate and The Mill Valley Historical Society)
All stated measurements per architect. Design review approval from the Mill Valley Planning Commission.
Sold On: Jun 17 2016
We want to hear from you! Drop us a note – We're here to help.