21 Grande Rue
6 BR, 6.5 BA Home for Sale in France 5,166 Sq. Ft.
Splendidly Restored Estate on Ile d'Oleron known for Leisure and Gastronomy
Address: Oléron, 21 Grande Rue, Le Grand-Village-Plage, France
Building: Dolus-d'Oléron, France
Bedrooms: 6 BR
Bathrooms: 6.5 BA
Square Feet: 5,166
Listed At: $2,700,000
This skillfully renovated 6 bedroom, 6.5 bathroom estate is steeped in historical significance. Built in 1850, it was once a postal office then a WWII Liberation Allies Headquarters and finally an oyster farm and winery before it was extensively restored to a modern maison de famille while keeping sensibilities to the estate’s history and character by a visionary interior architect. “Nothing is created, everything is transformed.”
Its old world charm is inviting and its contemporary and tasteful transformation, extraordinary.
• 5,166 sq. ft. of masterfully restored living space on a nearly 9,500 sq. ft. estate (per certified notary)
• 6 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms and 1 powder room
• Elegant living room with stone masonry and wooden rafters with view of the central courtyard through charming paned windows
• Central courtyard is a fantastic extension of indoor-to-outdoor living, optimizing the sunny exposure on Ile d’Oleron
• Stone masonry exposed in the large open dining and kitchen with apropos design element: an antique wine and cognac press reclaimed and restored to working condition
• Kitchen equipped with the highest quality modern appliances and wine cooler
• Large yet cozy family room with antique French limestone fireplace
• Office or den with a serene view of the pool
• Heated and illuminated pool in a private setting; maintenance is covered until September 2014
• Master suite overlooks the contemporary pool juxtaposed against the centuries-old church bell tower
• Detached guest studio suite with antique fireplace
• 3 antique French limestone fireplaces throughout the home
• Natural wall stone and French parquet floors
• 5,381 square feet of enclosed landscaped garden and patio with automatic irrigation; bi-century olive trees, century-old wisteria (Glycine in French), cypress, lavender are just a few of the beautiful local flora on the property
• Covered garage with interior access
• Private laundry room
• Fully furnished
The property is situated in the village center of Dolus, very close to convenient stores, the post office, market, bakery and more. It’s merely a quarter mile from a tennis and aquatic club, 1.2 miles from famous “La Perroche” Beach, and 1.5 miles from the local golf club.
Located on the largest French island on the Atlantic Coast, it offers one of the most beautiful and preserved coastlines, a sunny disposition (second to Nice), and a vast variety of activities. The Atlantic side is great for water sports like surfing, wind surfing, and kite surfing, while the opposite side has white sandy beaches protected from the wind. It has a diverse landscape, from pine forests to sand dunes, and charming villages keen to be discovered. Its tradition of fishing and oyster farming has attracted local families as well as European gourmands. The family-friendly Ile d’Oleron is known in France for leisure and gastronomy, yet is still a hidden gem to the world.
Access to Oleron Island in France is an easy drive by bridge directly from the mainland. You’re just under 2 hours’ drive from Bordeaux–Mérignac International Airport and only 50 minutes’ drive from La Rochelle Airport with direct flights to London and Paris. A TGV express train runs direct to Paris in less than 3 hours.
“A desire to keep track of the past in this resolutely contemporary renovation, adapted to our way of life of today.” – Interior Architect/Seller
Listed at $2,700,000 with elegant furnishings included (as shown on website and Property Restoration Book). Showings by private appointment only.