4 BR, 3.5 BA San Francisco Home for Sale: $3,349,500
From the outside, 22 Portola Drive in Diamond Heights looks much as it did when it was built in 1948, with its beautifully preserved facade. Inside, however, this 4 bedroom, 3.5 bathroom home dazzles with sweeping views of the City and the Bay; a grand top-floor master suite with a solarium and deck; and a custom-designed glass and steel staircase that is a four-story work of art.
Beautifully remodeled and expanded in 2003 by Twig Gallemore of Elevation Design and Architecture, 22 Portola is truly one of a kind. In addition to allowing direct access to the garage and housing a 144-bottle Sub-Zero wine refrigerator, the welcoming foyer offers the first glimpse of the grand staircase created by Oakland artist John Lewis, whose work includes the Oklahoma City Memorial. Rising from the ground floor to the skylight-capped top level, the planes of rippled, textured glass create a stunning waterfall of light at the center of the home.
On the second level, broad windows in the open-plan great room bring breathtaking views of San Francisco and the Bay Bridge into a cozy living room with a fireplace; a dining area with custom-designed lighting; and a modern chef’s kitchen with granite counters and dual Miele ovens. Remote-controlled window shades filter morning light and provide seclusion at the touch of a button. Behind the kitchen, a large family room doubles as a home theater with sound-insulated walls, 7-channel surround sound, and a convenient half bathroom. A garden offers a leafy retreat just beyond the back door.
The third level features two comfortable rooms with gorgeous views at the front (perfect for bedroom or office use) and a full bathroom with two sinks, a tub and a shower in the hall. A third bedroom with an en-suite bathroom overlooks the back patio. A laundry room with an elevated front-loading washer and dryer rounds out this floor.
At the fourth level, the staircase opens out to a solarium with windows that stretch from floor to ceiling and wrap into skylights at the top. Sliding doors grant direct access to a spacious deck with jaw-dropping panoramic views and room (and structural support) for a hot tub. Designed for entertaining and relaxing, with plenty of space for lounge furnishings and a built-in wet bar, this sunny aerie also fills the house with fresh air, warmth, and light. Remote-controlled windows at the top of the stairs create cross-ventilation that cools the entire house on hot days, and when San Francisco’s famous fog rolls in, 7-zone programmable radiant heating keeps the rooms snug and warm. Solar panels on the roof (accessible via a pull-down ladder on this level) supply most of the home’s electrical needs.
Tucked at the back of the fourth level, the grand master suite is a serene oasis. Its large bathroom features two sinks, a glass-block shower, and a tub. A walk-in closet offers ample storage space, while a hidden laundry chute eliminates the need for a hamper and for carrying clothes downstairs, just one of this home’s many thoughtful design features.
Located at the heart of San Francisco in Diamond Heights, 22 Portola is close to shops, restaurants, and transit stops in Noe Valley, the Castro district, Glen Park, and West Portal and offers easy access to downtown as well as freeways to the East Bay and Peninsula.
• 4 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms
• Programmable lighting
• Double-paned windows, custom-designed to open at the top (for ventilation and child safety) or to the side, fitted with light-filtering, remote-controlled shades
• Insulated interior walls for efficient climate control and sound-dampening
• Solar PV system: 16 185W Sharp panels
• Programmable 7-zone radiant floor heating system powered by super-efficient Munchkin boiler
• Cat-5e and RG-6 cable wiring
• Custom stairway built with half-inch thick stainless steel stringers, supported by two 1-inch diameter solid stainless steel rods
• Solarium lounge with grand window wall, custom-built shelving, and wet bar opening onto deck with panoramic views
• Whole-house fire suppression system and engineered for earthquake safety
• Doorbell/entry lock hardwired to allow guests to be admitted via telephone from upstairs
• Laundry room with washer/dryer and laundry chute from master bedroom
• Spacious 1-car garage with room for bikes, tools, etc. plus plentiful on-street parking just across Portola
Listed At: $3,349,500
We want to hear from you! Drop us a note – We're here to help.